Monday, March 21, 2011

BBQ Pork and Brisket

This past Saturday afternoon I trimmed and injected a Boston Butt and Brisket, the brisket was cooked for Craig and Anna and I had a single butt in the freezer. It’s always nice to have both or at least something else in the cooker to take advantage of having it fired up for such a long amt of time. I learned or re-learned a few things beginning with – pulled pork is better slightly under cooked than overcooked or at least for bbq it is. Secondly that marvelous thing called Burnt Ends, which is the Point meat on a whole Brisket, is indeed my favorite BBQ Beef and these were by far the best I’ve ever cooked. I separated the Point from the Flat before cooking which I don’t always do and at 165 internal on the Flat the rub was not setting up very much but the point was looking real good in that respect so I continued cooking to get a better bark on the flat. When the flat looked like it had a good bark the internal was at or near 180 so I wrapped it but the surprise was that point was more like 195 and looked great and tender enough so I pulled it off and cubed it up only to find it was as I said my best Burnt Ends ever. I never sauced any of the meats yesterday but at a contest I would have held those Burnt Ends in the cambro and reheated in sauce being very careful not to cook anymore. The only other thing I thought would be useful in the future was after pulling the pork and separating the big muscles from the rest, I pulled the rest and then used a meat cleaver to chop it a little bit and I liked the result of doing it that way better than just pulled. I usually survey the meat after separating it and decide which way I’m going to go to build the box to present to the judges and sometimes it has pulled pork and sometime just chucks along with the money muscle, and at other time all three – it just seems to change with me and I’m not sure that’s good but so be it. First contest is 4/15 in Kings Mtn, N.C. and I’m anxious to get that first one behind me.









No comments:

Post a Comment