Monday, August 24, 2009

Fresh Hams 2 Ways

My wife's brother Tommy raised him 3 pigs and had them processed all at the same time and wanted me to smoke the hams. I suggested he just cook a couple and freeze the rest for the holidays, so our weekend project was smoking two fresh hams using our Backwoods FatBoy pit. The cooker performed like a champ and gave no problem with the 14 hours burn time needed on one load of natural briquets. I injected them with pork injectable marinade and trimmed very little fat as the cap had already been removed. They went into the cooker at 6:45pm Sat afternoon and the first one was pulled and placed in the cambro when the internal reached 185 which was around 4am. This ham was sliced with our electric slicer and turned out very well and I'm sure he will enjoy plenty of roast pork sammies or bbq sammies with it. The second ham was pulled and placed in the cambro when the internal temp reached 195 and rested in the cambro for 2 hours before pulling it and it pulled every bit as good as a boston butt, if not better. I have said before that the hams make excellent pulled pork. The pulled ham is how my folks all cooked hams for the holidays usually with a coca cola recipe and we do em now days more often than not the same way except using the smoker.

No comments:

Post a Comment