Monday, January 4, 2010

Today's Red Beans & Rice

Someone mentioned Red Beans & Rice being their families traditional New Years Day meal and I knew I had the main ingredients including a lb of red beans Sue cooked the day before with a big piece of hog jowl, so I decided to make a double recipe of it and freeze some for later. The Ragin Cajun sausage by Thomas is a good product and I knew I wouldn’t be going wrong using it for this dish. I also happened to have a vac sealed pack of bbq chicken that I removed all the fat and skin from and wound up with about a cup of sausage and cup of chicken. Started out with a little EVOO in our giant sauté pan and browned the sausage first then added the trinity (1 lg bell pepper, 1 xl onion, 3 stalks of celery chopped), 4 cloves crushed garlic, cooked till mixture was softened but not brown, added 4 tbs tomato paste, red beans, chicken, 3 bay leaves, 4 tbs dried parsley, covered simmered for 1 hour.




Served with Saffron rice and fresh made and still hot Rich White & Wheat Bread.

1 comment: