Saturday, February 27, 2010

Something New - Cooking Indoors

Before last night I could not have imagined me cooking a steak indoors but being the cold weather wuss I am and seeings how the wind was blowin like one thang and it was a lil over 20 last night when it was time to cook them steaks I decided to "plug in" rather than "fire up" so I retrieved that table top elec grill from the bottom of the pile of little used appliances to give her a whirl. Plan was to use a piece of foil to cover them with while grilling to help hold the heat in a bit, so I proceeded by rubbing with evoo and sprinklin with equal amts of lowery's, garlic powder, and grd blk pepper. They really cooked faster than I thought they would and in fact only took about 7 to 10 min per side for med. Here's my observation and it surprises the heck out of me and doesn't sound like me at all. For starters I don't own a gasser and haven't in over a dozen years and this is the first beef other than an occasional beef stew or some sort of grd beef dish that I've cooked indoors in years and this steak was as good as it gets (HONEST). The steaks were ribeyes and I don't even know if they were choice or not but they were from a nice new store and they were Canyon brand black angus (pretty sure they were select though). I quit using smoke on my steaks a while back and have enjoyed the flavor more since doing so, but now I am going a giant step further and have to say I don’t even think you need a wood fire for a good steak. I think the natural flavor of whatever meat you are grilling complimented by the flavors of spices you use is all you need if you cook the meat to the proper finish temp and get a nice brown crust on the outside. Anyone know of a good ELECTRIC outdoor grill? Seriously if you have a comment on this subject please fire away.

No comments:

Post a Comment