Monday, July 27, 2009

Work and Play

I don’t know why we have weekends for, as they are just another workday. Saturday after getting in my 18 holes, I came home and pulled up two rolls of green beans, plowed and laid off 3 rolls for some purple hull peas. Sue attended “another” shower while I showered and proceeded to burn nearly a whole pound of thick sliced Wrights bacon to a rich deep dark black crisp. It was suppose to be for our BLT supper and I had it all jacked up with brown sugar and red pepper flakes that I had meticulously rubbed on the slices before putting them in the chubby. Me thinks I dozed off and the 45 min I thought was needed turned into 1 hr and 45 min, hence the stiff as a board, black as the ace of spades, and hard as a rock pig candy. Well I was not through with chores around the house and I sure wasn’t about to be denied my pig candy because I had another dish to use it in that I have been thinking about for some time. Yesterday morning after the Antique Road Show and Adrian Rogers preaching we headed to the Wal-Mart for a few items needed in my cook, but stopped on the way at the flea market mainly just for some breakfast. I was blown away when the little Mexican joint there served up our Tortas de Carne Asada after running it through a Pannini Press and it was dang good too. We didn’t buy any fleas or hang around long after inhaling the sammiches. With our list of items for the days cook in hand we headed home for more work before I could start the cook. I hooked up the 50 ft soaker hose and ran it all around the azaleas while Sue put the peas in the rolls I made for her Saturday. Then she mopped the trailer and started cleaning the windows that we stripped some stick on race looking stuff off that was suppose to block the light. While she was doing that I was hauling all the stuff we had taken out of the trailer and stored in the building back to the trailer so she could help organize it better this time as I had it in a mess last time I did it. Now with all the chores done it was finally time to cook and I had a spatchcock chicken and mater pie I just had to fix. I have been seeing a few different versions of mater pies and one I remember seeing was with a mixture of spinach, cheese, bacon, and artichoke hearts. I thought some steamed home grown green beans would be as good as spinach and I believe I was right as my favorite food critic gave it a big thumbs up. Everything turned out wonderful and I didn’t even burn the Pig Candy this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment