Friday, September 17, 2010

First Fall Chili

It rained a tad yesterday and got a little cool out so next thing you know I'm being sent home early to make a pot of Chili. I love Chili myself and my favorite way to eat it is with a good Pimento Cheese sandwich, but alas I had to settle for a bowl with a little cheese on top and some hot Tortillas. I wanted this to be some really good Chili so I left that little pack of ground beef in the freezer and went for that 1 1/2 lb pack of BBQ Brisket Burnt Ends. Being perfectly cooked and vac sealed they didn't need anything done to them but heated up but I cooked them a good while longer right in the bag in boiling water. So with that wonderful meat to make the Chili with, I'm trying to think of anything else I can do to make it better than average, and I happen to remember an assortment of Dried Chili Pepper I bought not long ago and decided to make my own Chili Powder with those. I used only one Guajillo and 3 Anchos and about 3 Canned Chili Chipotles in Sauce that I pureed and that mixture just about made the Chili too hot. I even seeded those dried ones before roasting and grinding in the coffee grinder, so I guess I just used too much. It had a whole large onion chopped and four or 5 gloves of garlic into the pan to sweat down good to start the cook, then I added the meat, Chili Powder, and a jar of Tomatoes, and finally a can of drained and rinse Great Northern Beans. Why white beans in Chile? you ask? Because that's all I had, and they worked great and I just don't make Chili without beans in it like some do out on the left coast. Anyway you sure wouldn't know that it had BBQ beef in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment