Monday, October 25, 2010

Liberty Tree Contest - Dalton, Ga

Our contest started I guess you could say with my having our trailer pulling into Selvidge St at 5pm friday. I unloaded the two little cookers and set the trailer up but went back home instead of sleeping in the trailer since we were about 5 min away. Now that last part sounds real good doesn't it? Not so - I think between the two of us we made about 7 extra trips back to get things that we would have never left out when we loaded up if we were going to be away from home. Also we were a bit more exhausted than normal because we cleaned and organized everything back into the trailer before pulling out which took a good two hours of serious cleaning and work. Feeling kinda like host since we were from Dalton we wanted to cook a little something for our friends on the bbq trail, so we made a Bread-Sausage-Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Eggs on top. I mixed up the casserole at home and took a carton on eggs with me to the cooking site and cooked it there on one of my smokers. This casserole is about the best breakfast casserole you'll ever hope to find and we'll probably do it again for the day after Christmas or the day after New Years or both. It was made extra special by having some of my good friend Vern's home made Smoked Sausage for the meat. We also went home to cook our Brunswick Stew for the Auxiliary category in the contest and managed to win it. We had a bad cook overall with some bad luck on our primary cooker giving us problems through the night that caused us to bomb out in ribs which in turn gave us a bad overall finish. Any way like a friend of mine says, it was a good time, good friends, and good food, so I say that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment