Monday, April 20, 2009

Winchester, Tn - High On The Hog Contest

Got to the contest without a hitch, just smooth sailing loading up and making the drive. I get there and get set up with ease as well, only to start discovering a long list of items I FORGOT. The big disappointment however was the water in the trailer was not going to work this weekend as the kitchen sink decided to blow washers both at the water line and the sink on off lever, and no cut off to it which meant no bathroom / shower either. If you have ever cooked the Winchester contest you would know it is about the worst place to not have your own bathroom as the busy Carnival patrons use the porto's so much. I had already started getting use to the idea of not having the kitchen and washed my chicken in a pan but my buddy Jose` got there and had brought his portable sink so it wasn't that bad. As far as our results in the contest, it's just more of the same as I just continue to see a pattern of two steps forward and one step back with the chicken results still making me scratch my head in wonder. I was really calm and time was not a problem for me all during turn in and was tasting the chicken about 30 min before turn when a lady from the BBQ World magazine walked up and upon seeing that I wasn't going to eat any more of the thigh on the other side of the bone asked if she could try it. Well, Jose didn't taste it but me and this ladies taste buds said the chicken was wonderful and yet I got LAST PLACE in chicken (no scores below a 7 either). Got a sixth place and 100 bucks in ribs which I would have thought would have finished worst than any of the meats, 36th in pork, 11th in brisket, and 25th overall out of 47 teams. You know I'm really trying my hardest to finish well in these contest but that's not all there is to it. I am enjoying more and more just getting to know my fellow competitors and spending time with them during the weekend. The Grand Champions for this contest John and Kathy or the team Wild Bunch Butt Burners were right next to us and are representative of about any team memebers you will meet with a warm and friendly manner so it was good to see them do so well. Also good to see Wade and his team Scenic City Smokers place 1st in Ribs. Mike and Debbie Davis or Lotta Bull had some commitments that kept them from getting there till the middle of the night friday and still placed right at the top overall and in each category. The highlight for most however was Linda Gould accepting the Hall Of Fame award on behalf of her departed husband Fred. Mike Davis did a masterful job of the presentation and I think everyone there was as emotional as Mike was and there was a standing ovation. So there you have it, another great weekend at a KCBS BBQ contest with wonderful weather and great friends.

1 comment: