Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 09

Fresh pork shoulder injected with Butcher’s BEEF injection because I was out of pork injection, and rubbed with bbq rub but I forgot what kind I used. Cooked this piece of meat in the FatBoy to an internal temp of 185 and into the Cambro for 2 hrs.



And I liked it better than our double smoked ham which I didn’t get a picture of because slicing it was the last thing we had to do and everyone was ready to eat. It was done ala Dr Chicken method and was a 18 lb ham.



The ABT’s (Atomic Bull Terds) had some previously smoked and shredded chicken with velvetta cheese melted and mixed in and Sue didn’t think anyone would eat them but danged if I wasn’t right when I said “oh, yes they will” – they ate everyone of them! The Fatty (1 lb roll of sausage stuffed, rolled back up and cooked whole) had some spiced dried apples, parmesan and velvetta cheese, and a little grape jelly.



This dish right here I can personally recommend because I thought it was one of the best things on the rather LARGE menu. I like roasted potatoes done this was so I knew I’d like the brussel spouts and decided to add grape maters and onions but I don’t think the BS needed them to be good.



Do You?



We’ve been fixing this corn casserole for a long time now because it’s very good and easy to put together. Just some onion, garlic, jalapeno, yellow corn meal, eggs – stir it up and bake about 30 min. This ones originated with an EggHead named Jslot, I added some Tasso and it really jacked it up a notch.





The old standby: Creamy Potato Salad



The older I get the harder it is for me to feed this big crowd and part of the reason is I always cook way more than we need. With that in mind I knew ahead of time that I was going to try separating the Turkey parts and cook them separate to try making it easier and give more room in the cooker. This is a technique I will use again and again as it sure worked well for me.




We wound up braising these turkey parts in the Fatboy along with the breast but manged to save some to deep fry later.



The kiddos have to have the mac n cheese, but I’ve noticed that everyone else has their share as well.



The breast really turned out nice and moist and it was brined with Old Dave’s improved Shakes Honey brine for the recommened 12 hrs before hitting the smoker. I used Slab’s Birds n Bones rub along with some Sweet n Heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment