Monday, November 16, 2009

Wing Day

We picked up 18 fresh wings yesterday and decided to do several different ways using the Backwoods Chubby. I made pictures of them cooking in the Chubby and messed around and deleted them right before taking the pics you see here of the wings after they were cooked. I love wings and anytime someone is sharing a cooking technique or recipe for wings I automatically store that in my memory banks for future use and the three that stands out are: the Dizzy Pig crunchy style, and then just dusting them with cornstarch, and finally the smoked then fried method. So with 18 wings that I snipped the tips and the extra little triangle of fatty skin between the two sections our plan was to reserve 2 of the breaded Dizzy Pig wings in the fridge and just deep fry those without smoking which would now give us 4 different styles of wings. But why stop there – we then decided to deep fry 2 each of the Dizzy wings after smoking and 2 each of the cornstarch dusted wings which would now give us six styles of wings. I like wings soaked in butter and Texas Pete but I like em better with the sauce on the table to sprinkle on or dip in as you eat them so they stay crunchy. Slaw is about my first choice for a side with wings so we made some Carolina Oil / Vinegar Slaw and roasted some taters on a 3rd rack in the Chubby up over the wings which I had on two other racks providing plenty of room. They cooked at 275 – 300 and I think about 2 hrs or a little over and they were ready. I made a nice herb bread loaf but I used the wrong method on the yeast and it didn’t rise but we wound up eating the bottom off of it which was kinda like a very tasty cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment