Friday, December 6, 2013

Ham & Bean Soup

I was determined not to waste that last little bit of ham and thought this soup would be good and something I had not done before or at least not this particular way.  To start with we had a pint of white beans cooked from dried in the freezer and they are always a lot better than canned, but I knew that would not be enough and was hoping to find canned white beans but all I could find was pintos.  Of course I used the pintos but I boiled them hard for 30 to 45 min with a can of water added and then added 1/2 diced onion and 3 smashed cloves of garlic - cooked about 10 min more - let cool a few more min - pureed with the boat motor.  It was a little thin so I added a crumbled up hard roll and pureed again before added 2 diced carrots that I had par boiled along with the made from scratch white beans and the diced ham from Thanksgiving.  Served with grated pecorino cheese and cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment